Thursday, April 20, 2006

First Woodcut experiments

Last night and this morning i carved out two woodcuts, quite small, of hot airballoons covered in the checked patterns.
Spent a few hours contemplating whether it was worth going into school or not to print them, because the printmaking studio isnt officially open on a thursday, but sometimes the senior students are working there.
I ended up going, and it was open. But there was no one there but me, so i wasnt motivated to stay very long.

I printed both of my woodcuts, and am quite pleased with the results. The only thing that bothers me is that i cant get an even coverage due to the press type. I am so looking forward to be able to do more woodcuts in Otago. Honestly i feel quite comfortable working in the woodcut process, and i produced many that i was very pleased with last year. But its just so difficult trying to work with a totally different kind of press.
In comparison to the drypoints, the woodcuts are far more effective. The colours are alot bolder, and there is a harsher, cleaner contrast between the red and the blue, although not perfect. I can imagine these woodcuts on a much larger scale. Im not sure about the flat blue backgrounds though, its too solid i think. I think that my monotype backgrounds were way more successful. i shall have to experiment with combining the woodblock images with monotypes.



This bottom print, i left a strip of red on it. I like this print because it shows more of a seperation between the earth and the sky - the violence of the red (earth) against the calmness of the blue (the sky).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home