Art in Groningen
I accompanied my aunt and uncle this weekend to the big Kunst Event in Groningen - cost like 6euro to get in (rip off) to wander around about 100 dutch contemporary artists displaying their art work. I took my time, surveying each work and muttering under my breath how ridiculous the prices were. I did find alot of works that inspired me, however they were all pretty similar. The majority of works were paintings, and a few 'sculptures'(the pretty kind you put in your house) and i think there was one printmaker amongst them. It seems that the majority of artists are really interested the whole gestural colour expression type paintings. They were all pretty similar. I think the work that i was inspired by the most was that of Jenny Havemen as seen below. in her images she plays purely with colour combinations...and the movement it creates. Which is what i have been exploring. Hers are great...they really screw with your eyes!

CorneliusArt www.CorneliusArt.com

Marjolin Van Ginkel www.marjolinvanginkel.nl

Marten Randa www.galeriemartenranda.nl

Jenny Haveman www.jennyhaveman.nl
![]()
Henk Hofstra www.henkhofstra.nl
Graphisch Museum Groningen
I also went to visit the graphisch museum briefly before it shut at 5pm. Im really dissapointed i was in a rush and didnt get to see everything because i found it very interesting. This kind old man took me and my aunty on a little informative tour. I got to see many old printing machines - including a machine for making movable type letters, and a machine for cutting and scoring paper. And many old printing presses. I got to see them in action too...and its interesting to see the technology get better and better...as in the presses are able to print more and more per hour. In the attic of the museum i learnt about one dutch artist called Hendrik Nicholaas Werkman.
Hendrik Nicholaas Werkman (1882-1945) was a dutch designer and printmaker. He is best known for his innovative printing techniques and avant garde typography. In the studio in the attic a man gave a demonstration of the kind of techniques that he used. It seem he rebelled against the 'rules' of printmaking. His work was bold and playful and experimental...he created images by putting ink directly onto paper, creating stencils and without using a printing press. I found this very interesting.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home