Friday, March 10, 2006

Book Making

On Tuesday i had another very productive day at school. When i got a tour around the school, i learnt that there was a bookmaking department. So i sweettalked the tutor 'Manuel' into giving me a lesson on how to make a book from scratch. ie. Bookbinding. I was very excited about it because im really interested in books, all shapes, forms and sizes. I love reading novels, and magazines, and art books, picture books, journals, diaries..books are just really cool. Books in whatever form, just really inspire my creativity and make me think...whether it be through looking at pictures in a book, writing in a journal or reading a novel. Books are an escape.

I had a great day. Another student Michael, from Leeds, England was there also. We learnt in one day what the tutor usually teaches in three so it was a full on day. We learnt everything from paper grain, to cutting the paper, glueing the spine, making the cover inlay, making the cover from carboard and covering it in canvas and then joining it all together and pressing it! I made two books, one black and one red. And it only cost me 1.50euros. Bargain.

In the lunchbreak i also had a go at printing my photopolymer plate. I feel like i havent printed for a while so was a little nervous to how it would turn out. I printed two, and i am reasonably pleased with them. The first one was a little dark, so the second i rubbed more ink off in places to create more contrast. But with such an interest in colour, i really feel like i need to add colour to the print, because the black and white ones just dont do much for me, they feel really static. Not enough movement in them, which is not good, because movement is what i want to achieve in the images.

I came home from the bookmaking lesson feeling really excited and inspired. I am really interested in bookmaking now, and i would like to do some research into the history of books and find a way that i can encorporate bookmaking into my art practise, which i imagine shouldnt be too hard because it seems there is alot of history between printmaking and books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home