Friday, March 10, 2006

First Photopolymer etching experiments


This is my first print using the silk screen photopolymer method. Im not sure yet if I really like it. The bitmap image causes it to be very dotty, but it is an interesting effect. The plate is far from perfect, I can see the flaws – but I think that this is ok and appropriate to the concept. I don’t think I want the plates to be perfect because as humans we are not perfect. Im trying to start playing with the idea of human movement. I created these surreal images on photoshop – 3 of the same person caught in movement, attempting to fly. I would like to use this kind of image along with images of birds flying in the sky – likening or contrasting the movements. Birds have total unrestricted freedom in the sky, but our freedom is restricted by what is around us. To juxtapose these kinds of images would highlight human imperfection, in that we never succeed in doing things on our own strength. Maybe I could make images of humans being carried up by the birds.


This is my second print. In this one I wanted to create more of a contrast between the black and the white. I prefer this one to the first. But I still think the image is rather boring, and that it lacks something. There is not enough movement in it. I would like to make some experiments using colour to see if it creates more movement within the image. The interesting thing about these etched photopolymer plates is that you can ink them up in two ways – in the way I have done, but you can also roll ink on the surface too. I think I will play with this, and maybe use some transparent ink too. I want to try and create more of a violent human movement against a calm background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home