More Kunstmuseums...
I am trying to make a habit of going to an art gallery/museum in every country i go to. I think its really good for me. It is definetly helping me form some solid opinions on 'art'..what i like and what i dont..what is art and what should be in the dumpyard etc. Its hard to believe that i got through the past two years of art school visiting the DPAG only twice, i dont think ive been to any other galleries. But ive learnt how good it is, and ill be getting into it once im back in Dunedin.
KUNSTHALLE BREMEN
I found this art museum really interesting, but of course it did not compare to the one in Basel. I guess because it did not have quite so many works from mainstream ‘famous’ artists. In fact a lot of them I had not heard of, but its always good to find new artists that you find interesting.
The gallery owns an impressive amount of work from the ‘old masters’ (16th – 17th century). A lot of portraiture and still life and biblical scenes. I just seem to walk straight through it now. I guess I do find it really irrelevant. They are really beautiful and show tremendous skill, but they just do not speak to me. The colours are too dull and they are too realistic. I guess that has come with the invention of the camera. Now that I can take someones portrait with a camera and can snap a landscape, the painting just seems out of date. One work I found interesting though. Smack bang in the middle of the old portraits was a photoframe/tv set. The work was called ‘The locked garden’ by Bill Viola. It was hilarious. Two moving images of a man and a lady. Looked like your classic ‘portrait’ that are like your school photo, with the really hideous neutral backgrounds. The faces are really still and slowly slowly move position. It was fascinating. I watched it for quite a while.
I seem to be drawn mostly to the work from the 19th and 20th century. For me I guess this is the period where artists seemed to break through, trying new wacky wonderful things...awesome concepts, and their work is interesting to look at too. The museum had a good collection of impressionist/post impressionist work which was great. But I must admit that the one work from Van Gogh stood out above all others. Im not sure what it is, but he just shows so much more skill, and his colours are so much bolder than everything else…a lot of impressionists use really soft powerdery colours, but Van Gogh totally stands out! He is bold! I really think that he is becoming one of my favourite all time artists. Which is big for me because I don’t usually have ‘favourites’.
There was a Rembrant exhibition showing which I had a look at. It showed many prints, and also a lot of his plates and equipment used. It was great to finally see some printmaking, but I really just wasn’t so inspired. The room was really dark, and the prints looked really dark and dull. Lack of colour!
Works that Interested me:
Walter Stohner ‘Ohne Titel (Nr14) 1977
Emil Schumacher ‘tubal’ 1984
Peter Bruning ‘nr 34/63’ 1963
Hienrich Vogeler ‘verkundigung’ 1901
Hans am Ende ‘Fruhlingstag’ 1897/98
Henry Monet ‘Bretonische landscaft’ 1896
Charles Laval ‘Badende’ 1888
Bill Viola ‘The locked garden’ 2000
Picasso ‘sylvette’ 1954
Emil Nolde ‘herbstwolken’ 1910
Alexi Jawlenski ‘stilleben’ 1908
Rudolf Tewes ‘stilleben’ 1906
Van Gogh ‘Mohnfield’ 1889
Jorg Sasse ‘6951’ 2001
MUSEUM OF COLLECTORS, BREMEN
This was very interesting to see. Four floors of international ‘contemporary’ art. It was really good to see some contemporary art for a change to all the museums which only tend to have art from early centuries up to the 20th century. Four floors of it though, it was a little overwhelming for me. I think that you need to be really prepared to visit a museum like this, you need lots of energy and a clear brain to process it all. I however was cold, hungry and tired.
I found a few interesting pieces that I liked:
Work by Daniel Spoerri
Jacob Weder ‘Farbsymphonie fur die wohlstands-germeinshaft der skifahrer’ 1987
Emil Schumacher ‘Bogen auf Rot’ 1967
Tobias Lehner ‘126.116.125’ 2005
Gotthard Graubner
Georgt Baselitz ‘night in Tunesia’ 1980
On the other hand, there was a LOT of work that pissed me off. The kind that made me bang my head against the wall and scream ‘what is the art world coming to’. The reason that I don’t like a lot of ‘contemporary art’ is that it looks like shite. Sure the ideas are there…but you’d have to sit for like a day and look at it to figure it out. Honestly, some people think they can stick anything on the wall and call it art nowadays. And they can. I however think that someone needs to come up with some clearer boundaries between what is art and what is in the ‘other’ category, because my opinion is its just too broad. I came across some work by Karen Sander..a series of frames with ‘art’ made of lined refill, holepunched paper and staples. It made me sick. Anyone could do that! I honestly have no idea where art is going, and visiting this museum honestly made me question what the heck Im doing at art school and whether there is any point. Theres just too much art in this world, you cant escape it. Do we have nothing better to do?? It just gets boring. The balance is off kilter…its getting too conceptual and less about aesthetic and actual evidence of skill.
I want to create balance in my art. I don’t want to create art that is too obvious, but I also don’t want people not to be able to figure out what its about. I want my art to be equal in areas of concept, aesthetic and show decent skill. I dont want it to be boring.
HAMBURGER MUSEUM
The best thing about visiting this museum was that i got in free because im an art student. The next best thing is that they were having an Edward Munch Exhibition! Absolutely fantastic. It was so great to actually see a whole lot of really cool printmaking in one room, and it was great to feel inspired again. I had seen his work in books, but hadnt really considered him before. But seeing the actual works was fantastic. I really like them. I love the use of expressive colour, and the use of expressive markmaking seen in his work, many of the lino cuts for example are really roughly and boldly cut, not really neat and cleancut. Same with alot of lithographs and drawings, he uses line in a really free way.
the works i found the most interesting are:
'Young women on the beach' 1912
'Two human beings, the lonely ones' 1899
'moonlight by the sea' 1912
'melancholy 11' 1898
'Girls on the pier' 1900
'On the shore' 1903/04
'Towards the forest' 1915
'firs on winter' 1903
'the scream' 1895
The rest of the museum wasnt so exciting. Again alot of work from the 'old masters' that i walked through. There was though, a decent selection of work from the 19th and 20th century. A decent 'contemporary' section..but i dont think theres any point discussing my opinion again.
Some works of interest were:
Kirchner 'staberhof farm; 1913
Lyonel Feininger 'east choir of Halle Cathedral' 1931
Auguste Herbin 'Port of Bastia on corsica' 1907
Paul Klee 'Rocky Coast' 1931, 'Revolution of the viaduct' 1937
KUNSTHALLE BREMEN
I found this art museum really interesting, but of course it did not compare to the one in Basel. I guess because it did not have quite so many works from mainstream ‘famous’ artists. In fact a lot of them I had not heard of, but its always good to find new artists that you find interesting.
The gallery owns an impressive amount of work from the ‘old masters’ (16th – 17th century). A lot of portraiture and still life and biblical scenes. I just seem to walk straight through it now. I guess I do find it really irrelevant. They are really beautiful and show tremendous skill, but they just do not speak to me. The colours are too dull and they are too realistic. I guess that has come with the invention of the camera. Now that I can take someones portrait with a camera and can snap a landscape, the painting just seems out of date. One work I found interesting though. Smack bang in the middle of the old portraits was a photoframe/tv set. The work was called ‘The locked garden’ by Bill Viola. It was hilarious. Two moving images of a man and a lady. Looked like your classic ‘portrait’ that are like your school photo, with the really hideous neutral backgrounds. The faces are really still and slowly slowly move position. It was fascinating. I watched it for quite a while.
I seem to be drawn mostly to the work from the 19th and 20th century. For me I guess this is the period where artists seemed to break through, trying new wacky wonderful things...awesome concepts, and their work is interesting to look at too. The museum had a good collection of impressionist/post impressionist work which was great. But I must admit that the one work from Van Gogh stood out above all others. Im not sure what it is, but he just shows so much more skill, and his colours are so much bolder than everything else…a lot of impressionists use really soft powerdery colours, but Van Gogh totally stands out! He is bold! I really think that he is becoming one of my favourite all time artists. Which is big for me because I don’t usually have ‘favourites’.
There was a Rembrant exhibition showing which I had a look at. It showed many prints, and also a lot of his plates and equipment used. It was great to finally see some printmaking, but I really just wasn’t so inspired. The room was really dark, and the prints looked really dark and dull. Lack of colour!
Works that Interested me:
Walter Stohner ‘Ohne Titel (Nr14) 1977
Emil Schumacher ‘tubal’ 1984
Peter Bruning ‘nr 34/63’ 1963
Hienrich Vogeler ‘verkundigung’ 1901
Hans am Ende ‘Fruhlingstag’ 1897/98
Henry Monet ‘Bretonische landscaft’ 1896
Charles Laval ‘Badende’ 1888
Bill Viola ‘The locked garden’ 2000
Picasso ‘sylvette’ 1954
Emil Nolde ‘herbstwolken’ 1910
Alexi Jawlenski ‘stilleben’ 1908
Rudolf Tewes ‘stilleben’ 1906
Van Gogh ‘Mohnfield’ 1889
Jorg Sasse ‘6951’ 2001
MUSEUM OF COLLECTORS, BREMEN
This was very interesting to see. Four floors of international ‘contemporary’ art. It was really good to see some contemporary art for a change to all the museums which only tend to have art from early centuries up to the 20th century. Four floors of it though, it was a little overwhelming for me. I think that you need to be really prepared to visit a museum like this, you need lots of energy and a clear brain to process it all. I however was cold, hungry and tired.
I found a few interesting pieces that I liked:
Work by Daniel Spoerri
Jacob Weder ‘Farbsymphonie fur die wohlstands-germeinshaft der skifahrer’ 1987
Emil Schumacher ‘Bogen auf Rot’ 1967
Tobias Lehner ‘126.116.125’ 2005
Gotthard Graubner
Georgt Baselitz ‘night in Tunesia’ 1980
On the other hand, there was a LOT of work that pissed me off. The kind that made me bang my head against the wall and scream ‘what is the art world coming to’. The reason that I don’t like a lot of ‘contemporary art’ is that it looks like shite. Sure the ideas are there…but you’d have to sit for like a day and look at it to figure it out. Honestly, some people think they can stick anything on the wall and call it art nowadays. And they can. I however think that someone needs to come up with some clearer boundaries between what is art and what is in the ‘other’ category, because my opinion is its just too broad. I came across some work by Karen Sander..a series of frames with ‘art’ made of lined refill, holepunched paper and staples. It made me sick. Anyone could do that! I honestly have no idea where art is going, and visiting this museum honestly made me question what the heck Im doing at art school and whether there is any point. Theres just too much art in this world, you cant escape it. Do we have nothing better to do?? It just gets boring. The balance is off kilter…its getting too conceptual and less about aesthetic and actual evidence of skill.
I want to create balance in my art. I don’t want to create art that is too obvious, but I also don’t want people not to be able to figure out what its about. I want my art to be equal in areas of concept, aesthetic and show decent skill. I dont want it to be boring.
HAMBURGER MUSEUM
The best thing about visiting this museum was that i got in free because im an art student. The next best thing is that they were having an Edward Munch Exhibition! Absolutely fantastic. It was so great to actually see a whole lot of really cool printmaking in one room, and it was great to feel inspired again. I had seen his work in books, but hadnt really considered him before. But seeing the actual works was fantastic. I really like them. I love the use of expressive colour, and the use of expressive markmaking seen in his work, many of the lino cuts for example are really roughly and boldly cut, not really neat and cleancut. Same with alot of lithographs and drawings, he uses line in a really free way.
the works i found the most interesting are:
'Young women on the beach' 1912
'Two human beings, the lonely ones' 1899
'moonlight by the sea' 1912
'melancholy 11' 1898
'Girls on the pier' 1900
'On the shore' 1903/04
'Towards the forest' 1915
'firs on winter' 1903
'the scream' 1895
The rest of the museum wasnt so exciting. Again alot of work from the 'old masters' that i walked through. There was though, a decent selection of work from the 19th and 20th century. A decent 'contemporary' section..but i dont think theres any point discussing my opinion again.
Some works of interest were:
Kirchner 'staberhof farm; 1913
Lyonel Feininger 'east choir of Halle Cathedral' 1931
Auguste Herbin 'Port of Bastia on corsica' 1907
Paul Klee 'Rocky Coast' 1931, 'Revolution of the viaduct' 1937


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home