Signing Out
It seems my time here is coming to an abrupt end.
The last week i have been feeling really restless, and exhausted and hanging by my last strings in relation to my project and the HKU. I was rescued though. Assessment is officially this coming monday, but unexpectedly i got to do my assessment on the spot yesterday. It went reasonably well in my opinion, Eugene browsed through my workbook and my prints and I did my best to explain the concepts i was interested in...but fell short of the target once again. He made some comments, some to take on board, others i felt were irrelevant, but overall he sounded alot more positive than my last assessors, so i feel reasonably confident that he will pass, and not fail me. He was also quite sympathetic to all the inconviences ive come across in being an exchange student at another school. So, apart from picking up my transcript from the office next tuesday, I am officially through with the HKU.
I am now able to enjoy my last week here in Holland without the stresses of schoolwork, it feels like a huge weight off my shoulders. In terms of what happens next, I am not certain. I am due back in Dunedin for the beginning of the second semester, that is six or seven weeks away.
Looking back at what i have achieved while i have been here, i am in two minds. Ive really enjoyed the experience of being in another culture and being able to travel and gain insights through that, and ive learnt alot through being forced to work independantly with practically no guidance or structure from anyone - ive learnt about self motivation, and time management, and that you need to use your initiative to get things done, its not at every art school that you are handed everything to you on a plate. Ive been allowed the time to think more conceptually this semester, and sort out ideas that i really find interesting. Ive allowed myself to research more into both art history and movements, and history of things that i find interesting. Ive enjoyed visiting numerous art galleries in Europe, seeing all the 'famous works' and forming my own opinions about what i find interesting, and what i dont. I have enjoyed being able to experiment this term with different ideas and techniques, and start to narrow down the processes that i am most interested in. I see my work over here as purely experimental, and admit that it is not the best work i have ever created. I have worked in such a different way this year, and im still to decide whether i like it. I like the ideas behind the work, but i feel like i need to approach it in a different way.
In a way i have decided to put what i have done here 'under the bed'. I feel slightly suffocated with what i have been doing. I am meeting up with my parents and will travel them, so i plan to just enjoy myself and try and let the creative juices keep flowing through some drawing and painting and photography, and let myself rest before i return to a HUGE workload in Dunedin.
I am not certain how it will work when i do get back to Dunedin, and how i will merge back into the programme, and how i will learn to balance schoolwork with other commitments, but i really look forward to it. Im looking forward to being back with lecturers who are helpful and encouraging, Im looking forward to being back in a studio that im comfortable working in and that i will have 24hr access to. Im really looking forward to being in a positive studio enviroment with other students, and seeing what everybody else has created so far and drawing inspiration from it!
So until then, this is me signing out.
Tot ziens.
The last week i have been feeling really restless, and exhausted and hanging by my last strings in relation to my project and the HKU. I was rescued though. Assessment is officially this coming monday, but unexpectedly i got to do my assessment on the spot yesterday. It went reasonably well in my opinion, Eugene browsed through my workbook and my prints and I did my best to explain the concepts i was interested in...but fell short of the target once again. He made some comments, some to take on board, others i felt were irrelevant, but overall he sounded alot more positive than my last assessors, so i feel reasonably confident that he will pass, and not fail me. He was also quite sympathetic to all the inconviences ive come across in being an exchange student at another school. So, apart from picking up my transcript from the office next tuesday, I am officially through with the HKU.
I am now able to enjoy my last week here in Holland without the stresses of schoolwork, it feels like a huge weight off my shoulders. In terms of what happens next, I am not certain. I am due back in Dunedin for the beginning of the second semester, that is six or seven weeks away.
Looking back at what i have achieved while i have been here, i am in two minds. Ive really enjoyed the experience of being in another culture and being able to travel and gain insights through that, and ive learnt alot through being forced to work independantly with practically no guidance or structure from anyone - ive learnt about self motivation, and time management, and that you need to use your initiative to get things done, its not at every art school that you are handed everything to you on a plate. Ive been allowed the time to think more conceptually this semester, and sort out ideas that i really find interesting. Ive allowed myself to research more into both art history and movements, and history of things that i find interesting. Ive enjoyed visiting numerous art galleries in Europe, seeing all the 'famous works' and forming my own opinions about what i find interesting, and what i dont. I have enjoyed being able to experiment this term with different ideas and techniques, and start to narrow down the processes that i am most interested in. I see my work over here as purely experimental, and admit that it is not the best work i have ever created. I have worked in such a different way this year, and im still to decide whether i like it. I like the ideas behind the work, but i feel like i need to approach it in a different way.
In a way i have decided to put what i have done here 'under the bed'. I feel slightly suffocated with what i have been doing. I am meeting up with my parents and will travel them, so i plan to just enjoy myself and try and let the creative juices keep flowing through some drawing and painting and photography, and let myself rest before i return to a HUGE workload in Dunedin.
I am not certain how it will work when i do get back to Dunedin, and how i will merge back into the programme, and how i will learn to balance schoolwork with other commitments, but i really look forward to it. Im looking forward to being back with lecturers who are helpful and encouraging, Im looking forward to being back in a studio that im comfortable working in and that i will have 24hr access to. Im really looking forward to being in a positive studio enviroment with other students, and seeing what everybody else has created so far and drawing inspiration from it!
So until then, this is me signing out.
Tot ziens.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home