Saturday, August 12, 2006

First photopolymer plates

This week I started to make some plates. Ive decided that I would like to concentrate on photopolymer prints for a start, as I really would like to improve in using that process.

As my image, I used a photo that I had been working with when I experimented with photopolymer when in Utrecht. I was focusing on the idea of human motion, and blurred movement.



Plate #1 - With this plate I accidently created an inverse image, as that is what I had learnt when I used the acid resist ink in Utrecht. Apart from that all worked well.
There is now a new way of creating photopolymer that students are using. Instead of using the dot matrix, students are aquatinting the plate instead.
With this plate I aquatinted my plate twice, and etched the plate twice in the 1:10 acid for 7 minutes each. I then printed this image to check that it holds sufficient ink, which it does. i got a good deep black.
Notes: Dont inverse image, but reverse it. Dont use brasso to clean the plate either, but use Clouded Ammonia and then use alchohol spray.



(Photo of Printed Plate)

Plate #2 - This plate was a disaster. 1st problem - the image shifted during UV exposure due to the weights. 2nd problem - I hadnt developed the plate enough in the developer. 3rd problem - The acid lifted my spraypaint and ate my plate.
Notes: So the image doesnt shift during exposure, use weights on top of the blanket, not underneath. I need to make sure I develop the plate enough - check plate in the right light, but as a solution I can gently rub meths lightly over the plate to remove thin film. Need to make sure that I leave the spraypaint on long enough. That it is completely dry - 30mins+, and that it has a sufficient coating.


(Photo of ruined Plate)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home