The Arts and Crafts movement
The Arts and Crafts movement
The Arts and crafts movement was at its heights between 1880 and 1910. It was a reformist movement that influenced decorative arts, architechture, furniture, crafts, even garden design. William Morris (1834-96) was a prominent leader in the movement.
(In America the Arts and Crafts movement is used to define the period between Art Nouveau and Art Deco – 1910-1925)
The Arts and Crafts movement was a reaction against the Victorian era and the rise of the Industrial Revolution. The arts and crafts movement celebrated individual design and craftsmanship over machine made mass reproductions. The machine was considered the root cause of all repetitive and mundane evils. Mass production was seen as a threat to creativity and individuality. However the extent to which the machine was ostracized from all process differed between individuals.
Certain aesthetic qualities stood out:reformist neo-gothic influences, an interest in texture – rough, rustic, cottagey surfaces, repeating designs, vertical and elongated forms. In order to express the beauty in craft, many works were left unfinished – resulting in a robust, rustic effect.
The arts and crafts movement sought totally favoured handmade art forms over machine made art forms. I guess there was an emphasis on detail and particular materials to show that people have more skills, talent and imagination than machines..there will always be things that the hand can do that the machine cant. I guess I’m just really feeling their whole emphasis on handmade processes over machines, I have such a huge interest in the whole practical side of art, that’s why I always like making stuff over buying it, because in making it you make it individual. It is half of the reason I do Fine arts,in particular printmaking because its so hands on/process based…I like it simply because its enjoyable to make something with your hands. Its like making your own birthday cards or presents for someone else rather than buying it, or also in fashion…making your own clothes to be unique rather than buying it from chain stores (mass produced) where everybody can buy the same thing and looks the same. Its like One off designer stores vs chainstores like glassons. But then Glassons (cheap mass produced clothing) is a lot more affordable than designer stores so everyone buys it! I am really interested in the whole original or ‘one off’ side of art. I guess in a way the whole Arts and Crafts movement is interrelated with the whole idea of the simulacra and the idea of the simulation or ‘copy’. Original vs Copy? I’d like to make art that is individual, unique…one of a kind. I guess I would have to rethink the whole idea of the print ‘edition’ then. Im not even sure what the point of the edition is? To make more money I guess? Why else would you need to make an edition of 500?I guess it makes it more affordable for buyers if there are more of them, rather than having to compete and pay a lot of money for a one off. And does selling heaps of cheaper editions add up to more money than just selling a single ‘one off’ print? It would be the same with making books. I would like to make one off books. No reproducing. The books could contain art that is also one of a kind. No reproducing there either. But then, if you only make one print..and you sell it, it is gone from your hands forever? you have no record of it…unless you take a photo of it, but I guess that in a way, that is simulation as well. I guess that is the whole point of the Artists proof then. So the artist has a copy? But do you need to make an artists proof of a book? Otherwise I could make prints, and then I could make handmade books that contain copies of my prints?...hmm it really makes me think. I really want books to be considered precious again like they used to be. Books used to be rare and well looked after. They definetly aren’t anymore. Books are just books. Nobody really gives a crap about them that much.
Further things to explore: Art vs Craft Debate (bookmaking), the idea of the original vs simulacra..ideas of Commodity (art to make money or art that doesn’t make money)
The Arts and crafts movement was at its heights between 1880 and 1910. It was a reformist movement that influenced decorative arts, architechture, furniture, crafts, even garden design. William Morris (1834-96) was a prominent leader in the movement.
(In America the Arts and Crafts movement is used to define the period between Art Nouveau and Art Deco – 1910-1925)
The Arts and Crafts movement was a reaction against the Victorian era and the rise of the Industrial Revolution. The arts and crafts movement celebrated individual design and craftsmanship over machine made mass reproductions. The machine was considered the root cause of all repetitive and mundane evils. Mass production was seen as a threat to creativity and individuality. However the extent to which the machine was ostracized from all process differed between individuals.
Certain aesthetic qualities stood out:reformist neo-gothic influences, an interest in texture – rough, rustic, cottagey surfaces, repeating designs, vertical and elongated forms. In order to express the beauty in craft, many works were left unfinished – resulting in a robust, rustic effect.
The arts and crafts movement sought totally favoured handmade art forms over machine made art forms. I guess there was an emphasis on detail and particular materials to show that people have more skills, talent and imagination than machines..there will always be things that the hand can do that the machine cant. I guess I’m just really feeling their whole emphasis on handmade processes over machines, I have such a huge interest in the whole practical side of art, that’s why I always like making stuff over buying it, because in making it you make it individual. It is half of the reason I do Fine arts,in particular printmaking because its so hands on/process based…I like it simply because its enjoyable to make something with your hands. Its like making your own birthday cards or presents for someone else rather than buying it, or also in fashion…making your own clothes to be unique rather than buying it from chain stores (mass produced) where everybody can buy the same thing and looks the same. Its like One off designer stores vs chainstores like glassons. But then Glassons (cheap mass produced clothing) is a lot more affordable than designer stores so everyone buys it! I am really interested in the whole original or ‘one off’ side of art. I guess in a way the whole Arts and Crafts movement is interrelated with the whole idea of the simulacra and the idea of the simulation or ‘copy’. Original vs Copy? I’d like to make art that is individual, unique…one of a kind. I guess I would have to rethink the whole idea of the print ‘edition’ then. Im not even sure what the point of the edition is? To make more money I guess? Why else would you need to make an edition of 500?I guess it makes it more affordable for buyers if there are more of them, rather than having to compete and pay a lot of money for a one off. And does selling heaps of cheaper editions add up to more money than just selling a single ‘one off’ print? It would be the same with making books. I would like to make one off books. No reproducing. The books could contain art that is also one of a kind. No reproducing there either. But then, if you only make one print..and you sell it, it is gone from your hands forever? you have no record of it…unless you take a photo of it, but I guess that in a way, that is simulation as well. I guess that is the whole point of the Artists proof then. So the artist has a copy? But do you need to make an artists proof of a book? Otherwise I could make prints, and then I could make handmade books that contain copies of my prints?...hmm it really makes me think. I really want books to be considered precious again like they used to be. Books used to be rare and well looked after. They definetly aren’t anymore. Books are just books. Nobody really gives a crap about them that much.
Further things to explore: Art vs Craft Debate (bookmaking), the idea of the original vs simulacra..ideas of Commodity (art to make money or art that doesn’t make money)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home